Friday, February 21, 2014

Mercury retrograde in Aquarius is a jerk

Let me start by saying I am not an astrologer. I have been a fan and dabbler for many years with some training here and there but my skills are very basic. I also take issue when someone is surprised I 'believe' so much in astrology. I try not to use the word believe pretty much ever because it is highly charged and creates separation. My experience is that, for me, following the movements of earth and sky has been incredibly healing and brought wisdom and fluidity to my life. Plus it has been quite accurate!

Anytime I post about celestial events, it is more based in my musings and limited knowledge, so if it resonates, great, if not, no worries.

On to Mercury. Mercury retrograde is a month long occurrence that happens three times a year. On earth, during these cycles, it appears Mercury is going backwards. When Mercury goes retro, it tends to frazzle the astrology loving population because Mercury rules technology, travel, communication, things we are quite attached to, and when he moves back, it also seems to turn our deadlines, cell phones, cars, computers, paperwork, plans and conversations backwards as well.

Additionally, Mercury retrogrades under different astrology signs, which can add another layer to the confusion, depending on that signs element and energy.

I generally don't mind these phases. As a Gemini sun sign, ruled by Mercury, it can be a relief to slow down, halt the progress and take a few weeks to work on anything starting with 're,' ie re lax, re new, re lease, re examine, re flect. It is a time for finishing, rather than starting, rethinking choices before taking action.

So, when Mercury went retro on Feb 6, I made note, and when I saw he was in Aquarius, sign of creativity, eccentricity, liberation, community and universal consciousness, I thought, 'this should be interesting.'

Well, it has been. Rather than experiencing the creative side of Aquarius, though, Mercury has brought out the aloof and insensitive qualities. Quite frankly, Mercury Retrograde in Aquarius has been kind of a jerk.

And not just to me. Most of my friends have experienced huge blows to the head in relationships, travel, work, home and oh yes, technology!

For the first time in my adult life, I lost my cell phone. Though, lost seems wrong. Mercury, trickster wizard that he is, made it disappear.

I don't care about the phone. I did miss texting, but was bummed about losing all the pictures and videos of my baby. Plus, I went five days without a phone, a feat unimaginable to many.

I was so sure the phone would resurface. I thought this was just an aquarian teaching about spending time off the phone, noticing attachments, being more creative in my communication and of course, being more consistent in backing up what is important.

Maybe that was the teaching. But the phone didn't come back and it took nearly another week to get a decent replacement from insurance and get it squared away.

I probably sound a little whiny here. But it was annoying and I am super sad about the lost items.

Still, I know how powerful cycles are and though I resent his style, I trust this is part of the process. Of something.

We have one more week of the current Mercury rx. If you have had a hard time, keep taking deep breaths. Slow down, take it easy and don't take Aquarius personally. His ultimate job is to bring collective balance, no easy feat. The challenges arising are for the highest good, even if they seem silly or hurtful to us.

And if you are someone who has not felt the cool treatment at this cycle, yay you. Try not to rub it in.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the article, Bekah. Sorry you lost your pics. I felt the last retrograde like you are experiencing this one and needed a recovery period when it was over.

    ReplyDelete