Friday, December 6, 2013

The curious effect of cold weather

One of the reasons I moved to southern California was definitely the weather. Even though I have lived in varying climates, (Alaska to Sicily) I have always preferred heat. Like, a lot of heat. Like, I am happy in 100 degrees... So long as it is dry heat. I also lived in Virginia Beach and when it's hot, it's humid, which is gross.

But I digress. In general, I prefer warm weather and am usually quite pleased to pay the sky high prices that come with living in a place where the thermostat remains comfortably high most of the time.

So when we get cold weather, like we are having now, I find it incredibly interesting to note the effect the cold has on the LA population.

In Yoga philosophy, one of the main reasons we suffer, and this is also a Buddhist teaching, is either our attachment to something pleasing or our aversion to something we dislike. Everything is in fluctuation and to be attached to something, whether positively or negatively, will eventually create struggle because it cannot stay the same forever. This is at the root of so much pain.

In LA, we grow attached to the weather. Our skin gets thinner and we just assume we can schedule outdoor events all year long. Most of us don't have umbrellas or big warm coats. Some, like me, are attached in a positive way. We love the warmth and hope it never changes. Others dislike the constant heat and yearn for more variety in seasons and temperatures.

When it rains here, or gets cold, like today and the rest of the week, it is fascinating to watch the effect. Many, like me, grow pouty, grouchy and freeze their butts off because they refuse to buy warmer clothing, preferring to believe it will always be hot.

The others become gleeful! They dance around in rubber boots, layer on gloves and scarves, pull out the tea and crock pot.

Inevitably, though, the rain goes away and the cold front moves on.

We return to our attachments and aversions in the California sun and continue the dance that most humans do all their lives, ebbing when change effects their attachment and flowing when all feels right with the world.

I know about this state of impermanence and understand that the only way to relieve suffering is to live in the present, finding gratitude for whatever nature brings our way, creating joy in each situation, no matter if it happens according to my preference or not.

I am telling myself this as I lay bundled in bed, floor heater blowing, clad in sweats, still secretly hoping it will somehow be warmer when I have to leave the house.

Ah, the curious effect the cold and other uncontrollable variables can have on body, mind, emotion and spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment