Monday, November 25, 2013

The 'Gratitude Attitude'

When I was a kid we had these family meetings once a month. The meetings were to discuss chores, complaints, changes, arguments and any other matters. But no matter the actual matter, we always started these sessions cultivating what my mom called 'the gratitude attitude.' (please note my mom is a counselor and child development teacher and dad is a social worker.)

I used to get so annoyed at this practice. I would grumble about having nothing to be grateful for as mom passed out paper cut into heart shapes. My list usually consisted of things like my friends or boyfriend or anything not related to family or all we had.

Cut to me, now, at thirty. I am a yoga teacher, healer, wife, step mom and new mama. I spend a lot of time counting my blessings and teaching others to do the same, a practice I do not believe would be possible without my mom and those darn hearts.

I didn't know it at the time, but she really was setting the foundation for an attitude of gratitude, it just took a while for me to know it.

Thanksgiving is in three days and this is a time when we are all asked to look at the gifts in our lives, rather than the struggles, to see blessings in the challenges and to share our gratitude, and maybe some food, with those we love.

Wherever you find yourself this holiday, may you also find within the gratitude attitude.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment