Thursday, October 25, 2012

Snake/Woman

I did not want him. Even as my husband asked ever-so-sweetly and my step-son promised to take care of him. It was not that I did not like him As a Shamanic practictioner and Goddess follower, I have great reverence and respect for his species. I just don't think snakes make good pets. And the idea of buying live animals to feed him just turned my stomach. So I swore I would never take part in his care and agreed to let him live with us.

I tried to ignore him. He lived in the corner of my step-son's room I avoided him if I could For a while, the boys took care of him But slowly, the time between his feedings grew longer his cage stayed dirtier I demanded they handle it but as my mother reminded me when she insisited on buying him a rat any time she came to town the "mother" always ends up caring for the animals. We had our moments I even tried to hold him and show him to any willing friends sometimes I even felt drawn to check in on him or his dancing on the full moon night would catch my eye as I walked down the hall but remained seperate, resistant to this reponsibility.

Last month we decided to move and the snake was not supposed to come. Then I had a dream. A snake dream, which is not unusual, I have them a lot but when I woke up, a decision had been made I would keep the snake. I would commit to his care, feeding and cleaning. So I put his cage in the big window with lots of light and company. I talked to him fed him It seems impossible, but he has started to look for me come out when I get home watch me in the kitchen lets me hold him without recoiling and even curls into my arms I just realized we are on the same... shedding cycle!

I have noticed other things, too that we both seek the sun spot at the same moment are effected by the cycles of the moon We are restless in the middle of the night and want to hide in the morning

I don't know what this connection means or where it might lead I know snakes have been a symbol of the Goddess for millenia and no other creature better represents such power I don't know what agreement was made in that dream but I feel like I am tapping into something something magical, ancient, precious and I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment